I was driving back from Amherst, Ma and stopped somewhere around Windsor, VT and noticed a headline in the Rutland Herald that said, “State Catches Heat for Yankee closing”.
The article could just have easily come from the Times Argus:
“Angry Vernon residents blamed the state of Vermont Monday for the looming shutdown of the Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant, two Vermont House committees were told…More than one Yankee employee said they didn’t want to leave Vermont, and they didn’t know where they would find a job to replace their job at the Vernon reactor.”
What it should have said is “Fracking Catches Heat for Yankee Closing” because fracking dropped the price of natural gas fired electricity, which put Vt Yankee out of business. Yay for fracking! But that is another story.
Nuclear power only exists because it is a massive government welfare program maintained by bogus accounting, what Michael Hudson calls “junk economics”. I have already documented in numerous previous articles that as economist Joseph Stiglitz says, “nuclear power could not exist in a free market, because they could not get insurance.”
I calculated that the same investment in renewable energy could generate five times the economic benefit as Vt Yankee, and over five times as much total salary would be paid to Vermont residents with renewable energy jobs over total salaries of Vermonters at Yankee. Please see: Crying over Lost Jobs at VT Yankee
But today let's talk about the economics of the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster in Japan.
Simulations and other good info can be found here: west coast-of-north-america-to-be-hit-hard-by-fukushima-radiation
According to the article 28 Signs That The West Coast Is Being Absolutely Fried With Nuclear Radiation From Fukushima radiation is already hitting the west coast:
Let’s just talk about one sign: fish.
8. One test in California found that 15 out of 15 bluefin tuna were contaminated with radiation from Fukushima. Do you like your toro sushi glowing green? Adds a new kick to nigiri and sashimi. Now it isn’t just fugu (puffer fish) that can stop your heart with neurotoxins. Do you love that tingling sensation from Fugu prepared just right? Now you can take your chances with Iodine-131 irradiating your thyroid, Cesium-137 in your muscles, and Strontium-90 in your bones. What a buzz!
9. Back in 2012, the Vancouver Sun reported that cesium-137 was being found in a very high percentage of the fish that Japan was selling to Canada…
• 73 percent of mackerel tested
• 91 percent of the halibut
• 92 percent of the sardines
• 93 percent of the tuna and eel
• 94 percent of the cod and anchovies
• 100 percent of the carp, seaweed, shark and monkfish
Radiation will eventually circulate throughout the entire Pacific Ocean and contaminate every fish. Since the oceans are connected, radiation will eventually get into all the worlds oceans. So let’s talk about the fish. What cost would you assign to each fish in the ocean that is contaminated with radiation? $1 per fish? $100 per fish? $1 million per fish? What would you calculate as the cost if every fish in the ocean was contaminated? Infinite?
Whatever cost you assign to the contaminated Pacific Ocean fish, I can guarantee 100% that the nuclear power industry and its supporters will not include it in the cost of nuclear electricity. That is because regardless of the reality, nuclear power is Safe, Clean, and Reliable!
This is not actually a statement about safety, cleanliness, or reliability, it’s a belief system or more accurately a delusion, based on nuclear industry propaganda. How else could you say that after contaminating an entire ocean?
Apparently, the Entergy jobs of some Vernon residents, which could be replaced five-fold by renewable energy jobs, are worth more than all the fish in the ocean. Really?
(Cartoon with permission by L.J. Kopf-
Inquiries to email@example.com)